|Tiger Sauce Mock 1
tamarind pods (wt w/ shells removed)
3/4 cup water
water as required
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS red pepper flakes
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt, course (kosher)
1/8 tsp ground celery seed
1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
1/6 of 1/4 tsp sodium benzoate
Washed tamarind and placed in water. Brought water to a boil and simmered for 20
minutes. Strained liquid and rinsed tamarind with water to make 3/4 cup.
Placed tamarind liquid and all remaining ingredients in a blender and blended until well
combined. Brought to boil and simmered for 20 minutes. Bottled. Made 1
- Mock 1 is a little too hot for a best direct comparison with real Tiger Sauce.
- Too much vinegar sour. Not enough tamarind sour. Did not process tamarind
- Needs a little more sweetness for better sweet-sour balance.
- Needs slightly more salt.
- Slight "oxidized" flavor. May be due to using years old pepper flakes.
- Sauce is too thick. Reduce Xanthan gum.
- Needs a little umami. Add a small amount of fish sauce.
- Seeds are too tough. Cook longer or strain.
- When viewed together, Mock 1's color is slightly more brown than the red of real Tiger
Sauce. Not enough to easily notice when viewed separately.